What does it mean for a parent not seeing the children? What does if mean for a child not seeing a parent?

There is no doubt that losing daily contact with your child can feel devastating. If you have been with your children all the time and you are now limited to contact visits or not at all, this is big adjustment and an emotional challenge; you may feel a sense of grief, loss, anger and a complete sense of loss as to what you can do.

If you are going through the family courts, how much you see or don’t see your child may have been directed through a Child Arrangements Order or it can be done by agreement between the parents.

Different forms of contact.

There are a number of different types of contact, including indirect contact (the exchange of letters, telephone calls or presents) and supervised contact.

Supervised contact is where a court says that contact between a parent and their child take place in a contact centre. This is not abnormal, especially in situations where the court is undertaking further hearings and/or waiting for reports.

Contact In Child Contact Centres

The National Association of Child Contact Centres run a number of contact centres and aim to create a warm, sociable atmosphere where you and your children can relax and enjoy yourselves. Contact centres have toys, games and books for children of all ages.

You will find lots of information on this hub to support you if you are not seeing the children or you are going through the family courts and are navigating a Child Arrangement Order.

Related Articles

What Should I Do About An Unreliable Parent?

Do you have to communicate with an unreliable parent They don’t show up, or show up late almost every time, leaving your child standing at the w...

What Is Parental Alienation?

All children are affetced by family breakdown In most families, both parents work together to help their children adjust to a new way of being, and to...

Broken Court Orders. What Can I Do?

A Court order is legally binding and is expected to be adhered to and complied with However, there may be occasions when a Court order is broken or &l...

What Is The Welfare Checklist?

If you are contemplating divorce or separation from your partner, your first concern will probably be about where your children will live and how they...

What Is A Children’s Guardian And Children’s Solicitor?

What is a Children’s Guardian  The name “Children’s Guardian” is a confusing one It is often confused as a foster carer o...

Can I Get The Judge To Speak Directly With My Children?

Parents in cases involving disputes about children will often feel that it is important that the children’s views are taken into account, rather...

Should I Appoint A Barrister?

Not a lot of people know this, but since 2010 it’s been possible to appoint a barrister to advise or represent you without going through a solic...

Preparing For Family Court

The thought of attending court for those who haven’t been before can be harrowing, but being properly prepared and informed will reduce a lot of...

The Child-Inclusive Mediator

What I do What does the Child-inclusive Mediator do Child-Inclusive Mediators (CIMs) meet with children whose parents are in mediation so that the chi...

What Happens At A Contact Centre?

A question we hear a lot is: “What happens at a contact centre I can’t imagine seeing my kids in a strange place and being watched &n...

Teenagers And Parental Separation

Many parents worry about how teenagers, young adults and parental separation Adolescents are dealing with a great many things – they are changin...

I Think My Child Has Been Kidnapped?

This article offers some advice to parents who believe their child has been kidnapped It aims to set the record straight when it comes to some of...

We’re Not Married. Does This Mean Mum Gets The Children?

There is no automatic presumption that the children would stay with their mother if an unmarried couple separate The focus should be on looking at the...

External Resources

Making Child Arrangements

Useful information of things to consider when making arrangements for your child(ren) when divorcing or separating.


Child Contact Centres are neutral places where children of separated families can enjoy contact with non-resident parents, and sometimes other family members, in a comfortable and safe environment. Every year, this national organisation, via its member centres, supports families and children in their local community.

Support Through Court

A charity supporting those going through family court without legal representation.

Family Lives

A guide on arranging contact with a non-resident parent.


Information on all aspects of caring for and bringing up children, including legal rights and responsibilities of the child's parents and legal guardians.