Schools can play a key role when it comes to supporting children through parental separation. When you separate, it is really important that you let the school know, that you ensure the school hold contact details for both parents, and the order in which parents should be contacted if there is an emergency.

They may also need to know contact plans (days of the week that the child is with each parent). This allows schools to identify any patterns and changes in behaviour, and also to make sure they hand the children over to the correct person at the end of the day. It also helps schools to know which parent to contact if a child is late for school or does not arrive.

How Schools Can Support Your Child?

Many schools have support workers. They do all they can to ensure both parents take an extra interest in their child’s education, alongside Parents Evening and Parent/Teacher discussions. It’s not unusual for them to arrange for mum or dad to come into school for lunch with their child and have some special non-rushed private time for the child to show their work to their parent.

It is worth asking the headteacher/leadership team in your child’s school to see what extra support they can put in place.

Schools should provide copies of all correspondence to both parents, including copies of school reports and all details about parents’ evenings, concerts etc. It is always worth checking with the teachers and school leadership team that this is being done.

Related Articles

The Challenges For Young Children Going Back To School.

What are the challenges for young children going back to school As our children head back to school and extra- curricular activities, they are facing ...

How Does Child Mediation Work?

When you separate there may be so many things to think about that it can feel very overwhelming As a parent, it is not unusual to be worried or concer...

Can My Ex Change The Kids’ School Or Doctor Without Telling Me?

The first key question here is whether you share something called ‘parental responsibility’ (PR) Parental responsibility is a legal status...

Teenagers And Parental Separation

Many parents worry about how teenagers, young adults and parental separation Adolescents are dealing with a great many things – they are changin...

I Don’t Think My Ex Is Well Enough Mentally To Look After The Kids.

After a relationship breakdown, it can sometimes be difficult to let go and allow your former partner to look after the children you had together This...

I Think My Child Has Been Kidnapped?

This article offers some advice to parents who believe their child has been kidnapped It aims to set the record straight when it comes to some of...

My Children Have Come Home Talking About Inappropriate Sexual Behaviour.

Your children have come home from spending time with their other parent, talking about inappropriate sexual behaviour What steps do you need to take I...

My Ex Doesn’t Look After The Children Properly.

When parents separate it is inevitable there will be occasions where mums and dads will disagree about parenting styles and the way that either of the...

Should We Ask The Children Where They Want To Live?

When parents separate, children are inevitably affected Many parents will wonder whether they should ask the children where they want to live What is ...

The Effects Of An Unhappy Relationship On Children

Before having children, we dream of a family home full of love, harmony and peace Sadly, reality often doesn’t work out that way Two parents, ru...

External Resources


Place2Be provide mental health support in schools through one-to-one and group counselling using tried and tested methods backed by research.


Fegans is a charity offering flexible, solution-focused programmes that support, mentor and equip parents to manage their family life and relationships better.


Good general information pages on schools and policies.