Published on November 25, 2023

We have children together, but my partner has more money than me. What can I do? This will depend on whether the property you live in is in joint names or registered in your partner’s sole name. See The house isn’t in my name, we are unmarried. Do I have any rights? If the property is not in your name, there is another option to look at as an unmarried parent. This is Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989“Schedule 1”).

Photo by Colin Watts on Unsplash

Schedule 1

This allows parents to make applications for financial provision on behalf of and to benefit the child/children. If you do not own your family home and your partner does you could bring a claim under ToLATA as well as Schedule 1.

Under Schedule 1 you can apply to the Court to remain in the family home, for a lump sum to purchase a home for you and the child/children or periodical payments.  Any award made under Schedule 1 is for the benefit of the child and not the adult making the claim (see below).

This is the same for a parent who does own a property jointly. It could be that one party wants the property sold but the other cannot afford to rehouse themselves (and the children) if that happens. This parent could ask to remain in the property until the youngest child is a certain age or ask that they have a greater share of the proceeds of sale to buy somewhere else.

Contrary to popular belief, a parent does not have an automatic right to remain in the family home until the youngest child is 18 or finishes full time education. This is an option, not a certainty. The Court would have to consider both parties’ financial situations, their housing needs and the age of the children. This is a delicate balance as once a relationship has ended both parties would wish to move on with their lives rather than have a financial tie for many years thereafter. Financial disclosure needs to be exchanged between the parties as a starting point.

If you apply for a greater share of the proceeds of sale over and beyond your legal entitlement, you must remember that this is not yours to keep. Most applications under Schedule 1 for a lump sum, etc are made on a temporary basis. It is for this reason that the applications are made on behalf of the child and to benefit the child. Once the child stops being a child, then the money or asset will revert back to the parent who originally owned that asset or money. You therefore need to consider whether it would be better for you to apply for an outright share of a property under ToLATA which you could keep or whether your immediate need to house you and your children is greater. This will need careful consideration and a specialist solicitor can discuss all of these options with you.

The case is conducted in a similar way to financial proceedings during a divorce. Parties will be required to provide extensive information regarding their income, assets and debt with supporting documentation. Schedule 1 claims can often take 12 months or more to conclude to a final hearing. There is no legal aid for these types of cases and the costs can reach in excess of £40,000. This will inevitably reduce the resources of the parties to house themselves so careful consideration needs to be  given before taking court action. Significant efforts are made by solicitors to try to settle these disputes through correspondence and mediation.

Want to know more – listen to our podcast number 5  on our series A Journey Through Separation.

This article has been written by…

And is in relation to the topic…

The Early Days Of Separation

Humans are designed to cope with many onslaughts, but change continues to prove extremely challenging. How you manage the early days of separation or divorce has the potential to set the tone for the rest of the process.

When couples separate, they are often thrown into a period of uncertainty. Identities are changing from couple to single, from mum and dad together as a family unit to mum with children and dad with children. Depending on the circumstances and who decides to leave the family home, there are many questions that arise during the early days of separation. “Will we have to sell our home?” “I haven’t worked since we had children – how will we manage financially?” “What will our friends and family think?” “How much will divorce cost?”
“Will I cope on my own?” There seems to be so much to sort out both practically and emotionally and it comes at a time when at least one of you will be ‘all over the place’ emotionally due to the loss you are experiencing. This can make decision-making seem impossible. Who wants to agree the practicalities of legal issues and more importantly organise the children when they are devastated, angry and confused by loss? It can turn otherwise rational, clear-thinking mums and dads into what appears to be belligerent, stubborn, unreasonable people.

Take Your Time!

In those early days of separation or divorce, take your time if you can. Seek support from friends, family and professionals. Try not to make any big decisions too quickly.
Bear in mind that communication problems with your ex and all the pressures on family life you are now experiencing, like for many separating couples, will get better with time. It’s important to recognise that you and your ex will more than likely be in very different emotional places at the moment; different stress levels and anxieties will be making communication difficult. Taking the time to sometimes do nothing, to not react, give things a day or two, can prove very useful techniques.
What you have to remember is that if you have children, your ex is always going to be part of your life. That can be hard to take on board when you are feeling hurt and angry. If you can find a way to communicate with each other that focuses on the children, you will all benefit in the years to come.

Related Articles

How Can I Prove I’m In A Coercive Relationship?

In the context of divorce and Children proceedings, it may be relevant to show that your former partner was/is coercively controlling. In vi...

7 Things You’ll Want To Know If You’re Separating From A Narcissist

Breaking up is always hard to do but if you’re leaving a narcissist it can be off the scale. Here’s how your break up will ...

My Child Doesn’t Want To Leave Me At The School Gates

Most parents have been there; you get to the school gates, ready to hand over to your child’s teacher for the school day and your chil...